Going back to Education in your twenties

05:16



So I have a confession, I have no idea what I want to do with my life...but that's for another time and another post. For now this is about going back to education.
 
After leaving school (which I hated) at 16 I started a two year course in performing arts at my local college, which I absolutely adored and I still look back and think they may have been the best years of my life so far. However as much as I loved performing arts I didn't really see it as a career, so off I went to Disney for a year. Coming back I'd decided that maybe Make up artistry was for me so I enrolled in a Hairdressing course, as I'd read it was helpful to get this qualification first, oh how I hated it, I wasn't passionate about hair in the slightest and quite frankly I wasn't very good at it either. Feeling lost again I got my qualification and decided travelling was in order fast forward two years of saving and one year away and I'm back in good old education again...third time lucky right?
 
So my chosen course this time? Floristry, this has always appealed to me because if you hadn't already guessed by now careers that are creative and where no two days are the same are really what I'm looking for. So far I have to say this is the hardest course I have been on the work load is crazy and the skills hard to master, I have definitely found it challenging but also extremely rewarding to think about how far I have come in a short space of time.
 
So what was it like going back for the third time? One word = Daunting. I really had no idea about floristry if I'm honest and everyone else seemed to have some sort of experience. I would say don't let this get you down, now we're nearly at the end of the course I can see it really doesn't make a difference if you have experience or not as we all had to learn the same methods and techniques anyway.
 
Was I afraid everyone would judge me because I was going back to college? Yes! I automatically assumed everyone would think oh what career are you trying this time? Like I had failed at all the others, which wasn't even true I'd just decided they weren't for me and I still finished the qualifications and got good grades. In fact everyone was very supportive of my decision and wished me luck on my latest endeavour.
 
Is juggling work and studying hard? Yes, I'm not going to lie and say it's easy because quite frankly it's not there's been many a night I've stayed up past midnight trying to get an assignment done. However it's only for a school year which at the end of the day is only about 10 months and that's not including all the holidays you get (a massive bonus about going back to education). Plus by the end of it, it will be so worth it because you'll have a qualification that means you can quit that crappy part time job and hopefully get a career in the industry you've studied.
 
So there you have it, was it weird, scary, hard and daunting going back to college at 25? In a word yes, but is it also rewarding, enriching, fulfilling and above all totally worth it.
 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. This was such a great post for me to read right now, I have just finished my exams and I am so scared how they went especially as teachers are drilling in to you if you don't pass that's it your going to be poor and homeless haha but its so good to hear that isn't the end you can just pick yourself up and find something else you may want to do and go to school later on :)

    bubbasdoll.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I'm glad this has helped you! It's never too late to change career and try something different!

      Delete
  2. Hey! I just came across this cute blog of yours and I am currently really loving it! Keep up the good work & i love this post too!! Anyways, I followed you on bloglovin’ and hopefully, you’ll follow back too!

    When you have the time, you can check out my little blog at this link right here: http://aestheticfiasco.blogspot.com

    Thank you so much! Can’t wait to hear more from you!

    //Natalie//

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Search this blog